Archive for 2011

Masons Arms in Lawrence Weston

BaRAS staff recently carried out an archaeological evaluation at the former site of the Masons Arms Public House in Lawrence Weston. The site is located at NGR ST 54939 78514. […]

Bristol Old Vic Theatre

Archaeological monitoring of a major renovation programme at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre on King Street has revealed evidence of activity on the site from the medieval period onwards. Details […]

Netham Lock

Netham Lock was built between 1805 and 1807 when the construction of the New Cut and diversion of the River Avon along the Feeder Canal was carried out. The canal diverts water from the Avon into Bristol’s Floating Harbour.

Hanham Hall, Bristol

Hanham Hall, a Grade II* listed building with a 17th century core, is believed to have been built in 1655 by Richard Jones the son of a Bristol Draper. The house passed to a succession of owners who carried out extensive alterations during the 18th century.

Beaufort House and Nos 7–10 Bedford Row

Archaeological building-recording for Beaufort House and Nos 7-10 Bedford Row, Terrell Street, Bristol in autumn 2010 noted that Beaufort House originally comprised two semi-detached dwellings (Camden House and Beaufort House).

Royal Fort, St Michael’s Hill, Part 2

Archaeological investigations on University land off Tyndall Avenue, St Michael’s Hill, Bristol revealed the remains of a possible barrack block and subterranean gunpowder magazine of the the purpose-built Civil War citadel known as the Royal Fort, located in the spring of 2009.

ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber