Chesterfield Hospital, Clifton, Bristol

In November 2011 BaRAS carried out an archaeological standing building survey at Chesterfield Hospital, in Clifton, Bristol, prior to a major renovation programme which includes renovating a Grade II* listed building known as Clifton Court, and replacing the existing 1930s extensions. The building survey was restricted to recording parts of the complex affected by renovation programme.

Clifton Court was built in 1742 for Martha Goldney and Nehemiah Champion II. By the early 19th century a range of new buildings had been built to the west of the main block, one of which was a stone-built building later known as Stafford Lodge. The west wing of Clifton Court was substantially re-built in 1857, but these works do not appear to have affected Stafford Lodge.

stafford lodge at clifton in bristol

Stafford Lodge, Clifton, Bristol

In 1934 Clifton Court was converted for use as a nursing home. A large new extension was built to the rear of the main house; Stafford Lodge was demolished and replaced with a new nurses’ accommodation building. The building survey revealed that although most of Stafford lodge was rebuilt in 1934, parts of the earlier stone building were incorporated into the south and east walls of the new building.

Tags: , ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber