Former Magistrates Court, Bridewell Street, Bristol

Work has started to restore this Grade II Listed Building for its new use as a youth arts venue. Photographic recording was carried out by Simon Roper on areas due to be refurbished, many areas having been prone to severe attacks of both dry and wet rot during the building’s 20 years of vacancy.

Plate 1 View of the ornate Victorian frontage, looking south-east from Bridewell Street

Plate 2 Decorative plaster ceiling in a poor condition due to water damage. Many original features survive from when the building opened in 1880

Plate 3 Detail of a window looking south-east towards a former Court Room, beyond the light well. Profiles of window and door frame moulding were drawn as part of the recording brief

Tags: , ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber