Former Workhouse Buildings at Southmead Hospital, Bristol

Amongst the complex of buildings on the Southmead Hospital site are some former workhouse buildings constructed in 1900. Immediately prior to the First World War, plans were approved to convert the workhouse into an infirmary, and it was subsequently used as a war hospital.

Historical research previously carried out by BaRAS indicated a sequence of phases for the buildings, with parts being extended upwards to a first floor sometime after 1911. The hospital was handed back in 1920 and in 1930 control passed to the Bristol Health Committee and part of the building became a maternity ward. In the later 20th century the buildings were surrounded by later additions and internally, most of the original features were lost.

Simon Roper undertook the building recording prior to their demolition to make way for a new acute care facility.

The former workhouse buildings at Southmead Hospital in Bristol

A map showing the location for the former workhouse buildings on the South mead Hospital site.

Tags: ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber