Hanham Hall, Bristol

Hanham Hall is a Grade II* listed building with a 17th century core which has undergone a series of alterations and enlargements over the centuries including an extensive outbuilding range located to the north of the main hall.

The 17th century house is believed to have been built in 1655 by Richard Jones the son of a Bristol Draper. The house passed to a succession of owners who carried out extensive alterations during the 18th century and in the early 19th was sold to the local industrialist Samuel Whittuck. The Whittuck family remained the owners of the Hall into the twentieth century when it became a Hospital for ‘Subnormals’ run by the Rev. H.N. Burden.

hanham hall, bristol

View of Hanham Hall and the outbuildings behind, facing north-west

BaRAS has been conducting a watching brief on the groundworks around the hall and a programme of building recording on the hall itself. Notable discoveries include an 18th century culvert pic running from the house to the brook approximately 250m away, and some unusual floor beams probably dating to the 19th century. These were within the 18th century west wing and comprised a core of oak sandwiched between two pieces of pine and the whole held together with a variety of metalwork. This was probably an innovation introduced by Samuel Whittuck possibly echoing the construction techniques used within his industrial buildings.

18th century culvert at hanham hall, bristol

Internal view of the culvert, facing west

Tags: , , ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber