St Catherine’s Place, Bedminster, Bristol

An evaluation at St Catherine’s Place uncovered substantial and well-preserved structural remains of a watermill. There has been a mill in Bedminster since at least 1086 and the discovery of residual medieval ceramics at the south-eastern end of Mill Lane (north-west of the site), provides some evidence for activity in the vicinity from at least the mid-13th century. It was not possible at this stage to determine when the earliest parts of the watermill were constructed but some parts of it are likely to date from the late 17th or early 18th century.

Plate 1 View showing the complexity of the mill structure, looking south-west along Dalby Avenue

Tags: , ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber