City Hall, College Green, Bristol

Many Bristol citizens will be aware that City Hall (formerly called the Council House) has been undergoing a major refurbishment which is due to be finished this year. The building has had no significant modernization since opening in the mid 1950s and has therefore needed its services and public access improving.

The historic features are being retained and conserved and this has given us an opportunity to record them, while they are not obscured by office furniture!


City Hall is a Grade II* listed building, started in 1938 and finished after the war

The reception hall is lined with Doulting stone from the Mendips and paved with Belgian black marble and white Italian marble. The blue and gold wall clock is encircled by the signs of the zodiac and equipped with its own wind indicator

The first floor contains the grandest rooms in the building, including the Lord Mayor’s Chambers and the Conference Room which has the names of all the Mayors and Lord Mayors of Bristol since 1216 cut into the stone walls. Here a leather-studded door leads from the latter

Lord Mayor’s reception room with herringbone parquet flooring and walnut panelling

Tags: ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber