Numbers 13-15 West Street, Old Market, Bristol

Two trenches were excavated in the car parking area to the rear of these properties. Not unexpectedly for this part of the city we revealed well-preserved, intact archaeological features. These remains related to various phases when the site was occupied by the Lamb Inn, a mid-17th century coaching inn which was demolished in 1905. Both trenches demonstrated that following that demolition, the remains were buried and the land level raised, which has provided (unplanned) protection for the archaeology below.


Trench 1 showing wall and cobbled surface, looking east. 1m scales

Tags: ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber