Archive for January, 2009

Bristol’s First Riding School

A site on the Backfields Industrial Estate, St Paul’s—the location of Bristol’s first riding school established in 1761—saw three evaluation trenches dug which uncovered limestone foundations of the School’s arena walls.

Highwood House, Purdown, Bristol

An archaeological watching brief during construction of a new healthcare building at Heath House Lane Purdown has found part of a late prehistoric or Roman settlement with a row of post pits and several circular pits containing a large amount of charcoal.

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber