Seven Ways Public House, New Street, St Jude, Bristol

Recent work at the former Seven Ways public house in New Street has revealed some interesting features. Substantial foundations of a boundary wall alongside St Matthias Park may be the same wall depicted by Jacob Millerd on his c 1710 plan.

Remains of the 18th century ‘Old Swan’ pub (with its extensive network of contemporary subterranean cellar passages), and its greatly altered replacement the ‘New Swan’ built in 1891, were also recorded.

Of particular interest were the deposits of ash, kiln waste and clay tobacco pipes, which had been used to infill the cellar passages in the early 1890s when the old inn was being demolished. This material possibly originated from the site of a clay tobacco pipe factory located across the road at No. 22 New Street.

Main façade of seven ways public house bristol looking north-west

Main façade of the building, looking north-west

boundary wall of seven ways public house bristol viewed from neighbouring plot of land looking south.

Extant length of boundary wall viewed from neighbouring plot of land, looking south

site of the boundary wall of seven ways public house shown on millerd's map of bristol

Extract from Jacob Millerd’s revised plan of circa 1710

Tags: , , ,

Categories
Events
Excavations
Finds
Survey
Tags
ammunition bath bedminster blast furnace bristol bronze-age burial canal casting house ceramic chapel church civil war convent dwelling fort garden building gazebo glass furnace glass works hall house hogarth hospital industrial infirmary iron works jewellery maesteg medieval millerd's map monastic pit port post-medieval post hole prehistoric or roman priory public house railway road roman shipyard st james theatre timber